The train was very crowded this evening on my commute home. With more riders than seats I and many others were left to hang from the nearest ceiling bar or handrail and stand our way down the track. It wasn't so bad. It is really a form of low-impact exercise with the starts and stops requiring a careful shift of body weight and rebalance in order to stay upright. But even better than the free workout is the excuse to observe others various reading choices. Predictable selections included the AJC, Fulton Review Weekly, and the Bible. Classic texts such as "The Age of Innocene" and (a personal favorite) "Catch-22" were also ingested by reading riders. Current bestsellers such as "The Appeal" and "Texas Hold'em" were literally consumed and there were many other books being read that I hadn't heard of before: "Divine Nine", "Making Magic", "Tudor Colonists", and "Where Football is King."
I personally like to read magazines of various sorts and lean towards "Smithsonian", "Reader's Digest", "Ensign", and lately "TownHall". I usually read scripture for a few minutes in the morning on my bus ride from the park and ride to the train station. But I also dive into a book now and then. I recently finished "The Coldest Winter" about the Korean War.
What interests me even more than what people read is what they don't read--or do for that matter. Many people just sit, day after day, not reading, listening to music, or even sleeping. It is nice to relax for a few minutes but I cherish the quiet time to read and take in new ideas. Boredom has its qualities, but I'd rather do something.
Monday, February 25, 2008
What MARTA riders are reading
Posted by Craig Loveland at 6:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment